URGENT - NYC volunteers need transportation! #sandyvolunteer
Volunteers in NYC are trying to get to troubled areas, but they are having a hard time getting around with public transportation suspensions, gas shortages, and traffic.
Drivers, please help volunteers get around by using this page to offer the extra seats in your vehicles, especially vans and other high occupancy vehicles.
Volunteers, please enter your transportation needs and Rootless will help match you with drivers.
Tweet @rootlessme with #sandyvolunteer if you have any ideas on how Rootless can continue helping with transportation.
Gas shortage in NYC area
Throughout the New York area, people are experiencing gas shortages. Lets help each other get around during these difficult times by sharing empty seats in cars and carpooling whenever a car is needed. You can use this page to find a ride or to offer the empty seats in your car.
Minimum passenger requirement for all vehicles entering Manhattan
Update - The minimum passenger ban has been lifted as of 11/2/2012 afternoon, but ridesharing will still help relieve traffic in the area.
As a result of the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in New York City, Mayor Bloomberg has set a minimum passenger requirement on all cars driving into Manhattan to reduce traffic congestion. Use Rootless to find a car with empty seats or to find extra passengers so you can meet the minimum passenger limit and get into Manhattan.
How it works
We are trying to make ridesharing and carpooling easy for people trying to get into Manhattan.
- Submit your start location, end location, date, and time or your trip along with your name, email address, and optionally a phone number.
- You will receive email updates when we find drivers and passengers along your route. We will send you information on how to get in contact with them.
- Contact the other person by email or sms.
- Unsubscribe from the alerts after you have found a ride or filled your car.
* The information you input above will only be shared with other riders who are potential carpool matches.
Rootless is a ridesharing community that helps passengers and drivers get where they want to go, together. One of our co-founders lives in Brooklyn and he has seen the transporation problems in NYC as a result of Hurricane Sandy. We wanted to help the greater New York City area get around easier during this difficult time.